The procedure to find vehicle registration details is simple and easy to follow. The Government of India has made it possible for citizens to trace bike or car owner details by registration number online. The Centre, through the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, launched a national registry known as VAHAN. It is a central database of all crucial details and currently, it has digitized over 28 crore vehicle data or information.
This changed with the launch of VAHAN, a national registry launched by the Central government through the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways. This initiative was launched in 2011 with the goal of creating a database of all information related to driving licences and motor vehicle registration details from the Regional Transport Offices (RTOs)and District Transport Offices (DTOs) across the country.
Below is the step-by-step procedure to check vehicle registration details online-enabled through VAHAN:
Visit the official website of VAHAN and follow the step-by-step process mentioned below to find vehicle registration details online:
- Click on “Know your vehicle details” from the menu bar.
- In the next page, furnish the registration number of your vehicle, enter the verification code as shown there, and click on “Search Vehicle”.
- And you are done! But what are the details you can find there? You can see all the details related to your motor vehicle as registered with your RTO.
VAHAN is designed to collate and produce vehicular information in accordance with individual requirements of all the Indian states and Union Territories. These details are also in tandem with the Motor Vehicles Act 1988.
You can find the following details in the VAHAN website upon entering your vehicle’s registration number:
- Registration date
- Chassis number (not mentioned in full)
- Engine number (not mentioned in full)
- Owner’s name
- Vehicle class
- Fuel type
- Model and manufacturer details
- Vehicular fitness duration
- PUC or Pollution Under Control Certificate number
- Motor Vehicle (MV) Tax validity
- Details of motor vehicle insurance
- Emission standards of the vehicle (Bharat Stage emission norms)
- Registration Certificate Status
- Name of the financier
Checking a Vehicle’s Registration Details with SMS:
You can also access Vahaan registration details as well as other information through SMS. This can be done by the following method:
- Enter VAHAN Vehicle Registration Number.
- Send the SMS to 7738299899.
Vehicle Owner Details
How to find vehicle owner information? Just enter vehicle number to get over a dozen vehicle registration details including real owner name, age, registration date, insurance expiry, etc.
Get details of challans issued to any vehicle or driver just by using a vehicle (RC) or license number. Details include challan number, date of issue and payment status.
Download all your RC and licenses in your profile for quick access to all the details in case of urgency. You can also login to synchronize your searches in all of your devices.
Resale Value Calculator
Did you know a vehicle value falls nearly 20% of its initial value in the first year? Check the right market price for your used car or bike using our all-new resale value calculator. It takes in various parameters like make and mileage to give you a fair price for your car.
Get daily updated prices of petrol and diesel from all cities of India. Petrol and Diesel prices are revised every day to ensure even a minute’s variation in global oil prices can be transmitted to fuel users.
Driving Licence Search
Use a driving license number to quickly get the license holder’s name, age, validity, status and much more.